HISTORY AND OBJECTIVES OF THE SOCIETY
The Glasgow Hebrew Congregation established its first burial ground in the Necropolis, in use 1832-1855 and then opened Jewish Cemeteries at Janefield (Eastern Necropolis), in use 1855-1935 and at Craigton (1881-1908). There have been Jewish burials in the Western Necropolis since 1889 (currently used by Garnethill Hebrew Congregation).
Glasgow Hebrew Burial Society, founded about 1908, took over the Jewish Cemetery at Sandymount (first burial in 1905), opening Glenduffhill Cemetery in 1934. South Portland Street Synagogue established a Cemetery at Riddrie in 1909 and this was taken over by GHBS in 1974. There are some reserved plots in Sandymount, used as recently as 1993, and at Riddrie the last burial being in 2003. Glenduffhill is now the only Cemetery used for burials of members of this Society.
Although much has changed over the past 100 years, the reason for the existence of the Burial Society remains the same. It is to ensure that Jewish Burials in Glasgow take place in accordance with Religious requirements and traditions of Orthodox Judaism. It also ensures that this is available to all, irrespective of means.
The Society depends on the regular annual contributions of its members. Anyone who is not a member of a Burial Society should endeavour to join, both for their own benefit, and also to support this essential organisation within the community.